Application Deadline: April 10th, 2017 (Selected candidates notified by first week of May)
Program Dates: July 10–14th, 2017
Location: The New York Academy of Sciences, New York, NY
The Science Alliance Leadership Training (SALT) is the only program in the United States that provide hands on leadership training for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) PhD students. This 5-day program will provide participants with tools to take ownership of their career by learning interpersonal skills, conflict management, and assertive communications skills. The program is free of cost and will be a tremendous résumé booster for participants. SALT will prepare and train graduate students to assume leadership roles throughout their professional career.
Overall Program Goals
- Build essential leadership skills in early career scientists that will empower them to assume leadership roles through their professional career.
- Establish and develop a strong and diverse network of STEM leaders with top credentials.
- Develop an individualized professional plan to achieve your career goals with action steps and a timeline.
- Applicants must be Members of the New York Academy of Sciences at the time of the application. If you are not currently a Member, please click here to join the Academy prior to submitting your application.
- Applicants must be actively engaged in STEM research as PhD students.
- Applicants must have completed the second year of their PhD program by May 31st, 2017.
- Communication and Leadership Skills: effective and assertive communication techniques, how to influence others, and to discover your learning style.
- Interpersonal Skills: Empathy, networking, power dynamics, and team-building.
- Conflict Management and Emotional Intelligence: Conflict resolution, diverse teams, implicit bias, and understanding team dynamics.